Moved by Liberal Party of Canada (Manitoba)
BE IT RESOLVED that the Liberal Party of Canada:
In consultation with provincial, territorial and municipal governments, establish a comprehensive national sustainable clean energy strategy (following the United Kingdom and Australia energy strategies and models as outlined in the Building Consensus report); and a National Clean Energy Agency dedicated to the development and implementation of sustainable initiatives that shall include, but are not limited to the:
- development of an east-west clean energy power grid and corridor that will eliminate interprovincial trade barriers, strengthen the federation and foster the Canadian national identity;
- development of environmental stewardship based on biodiversity, land use, air and water quality indicators measured through continuous monitoring;
- implementation of clean energy projects and training programs that improve quality of life and economic opportunities for all Canadians;
- reviewing and, where appropriate, implementation of existing clean energy report recommendations;
- development of strict guidelines and targets for reduced emissions, and timelines to ensure that these targets are met;
- implementation of financial incentives dedicated to encouraging a sustainable clean energy economy.
A national clean energy strategy is essential for reducing greenhouse gas emissions responsible for global warming and for achieving a decarbonised economy.
Canada is seventh amongst G20 nations in clean energy investment, and lags significantly behind leaders in clean energy development including the United States and China.